Monday, January 02, 2006

Hi, all,

As if I don't have 37 more undone items on my vacation to-do list, I got curious to find Annie Proulx's short story of "Brokeback Mountain" (or whatever the story title is), and found, on her website (www.annieproulx.com), a link to an interview in The Missouri Review as well as some thoughts on her story and the film on her FAQs. Also discovered a book is out, containing it seems the short story and articles by the two screenwriters (Peter said he saw it at Borders for $11).

NPR did a review of My Architect by Neda Ulaby "The DVD Room" (11 Mar. 2005) and an interview with Nathanial Kahn on "Fresh Air" (20 Fe. 2004) which can be listened to ( a transcript only for purchase, under $15 but I didn't go far enough to find out more), both on www.npr.org.

Unrelated, watched Outfoxed last night (catching up on my long list of recent documentaries I never saw). I have to say, I nearly wept that such a convincing case could be made--
before the 2004 election--about why never to listen to anything Fox News Channel broadcasts as "fact" yet not prevent Bush from "winning" (nothing will convince me Ohio and maybe also New Mexico or other states weren't stolen). I'm also thinking along with these viewing experiences that documentaries are audiovisual essays (if my definition of an essay is an exploration of the writer's[/documentarian's] thinking about a specific issue/question/dilemma)--anyone have any thoughts about that? Is there a classic definition of a documentary?
Happy New Year to all you blogmates,
Margaret

3 Comments:

Blogger Cinema Journal said...

I know John Grierson described documentaries as "the creative treament of actuality." The name "documentary" supposedly began when he reviewed Robert Flaherty's film "Moana." "Of course, Moana [1926] being a visual account of events in the daily life of a Polynesian youth and his family, has documentary value."*

Now, I'm not sure how many filmmakers would stand by such a definition (couldn't it also be said of fiction films, as well?), but this Grierson quote is often cited. (Flaherty had made films before Moana, and even early films were called "actualities," but this is the first instance of the phrase "documentary" that I'm aware of.)

*http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/02/flaherty.html

12:00 PM  
Blogger mfiore said...

Cullen,
thanks...keep me posted on definitions of "documentary" and possible overlaps with "essay"--I'm in the throes of figuring out my new essay course.
Margaret

7:03 PM  
Blogger mfiore said...

Cullen,
thanks...keep me posted on definitions of "documentary" and possible overlaps with "essay"--I'm in the throes of figuring out my new essay course.
Margaret

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home